What is a LMS?
A LMS or Learning Management System is a software application that is used for the administration, documentation, tracking, reporting and delivery of online educational courses or training programs.
A LMS is ideal if you need to keep accurate training records of your students or employees training activities. For example, in many countries it is a legal requirement for businesses to provide both HR Policies and Procedures and Workplace Health and Safety training to all employees. By having an online training product with an LMS, businesses can easily distribute and monitor their employee training and keep the records required for legal reasons.
Companies can have their own LMS or they can use external LMS providers. LMS providers can be expensive, depending on your requirements, however they alleviate the need for employing your own specialised team.
Most LMS providers will simplify the process of building a training platform to host your learning content and fulfil your reporting requirements.
Selecting a LMS can be a complex decision and you should consider the following before proceeding;
- What are your reporting outcome requirements?
- Do you want eCommerce integration? (Do you want to sell your product?)
- What software will you be using to create content?
- What is the complexity of the training (i.e. gamification and interaction levels)?
- Do you need to generate certificates?
- Do you want to include internal forums to help build a community?
- Complexity of management requirements, including enrolment processes and tracking.
- Ease of updating training material.
- Do you need an LRS (Learning Records Store)?
- Promotion of your own branding and intranet or intranet links?
- Software integration needs; i.e. integration with email software, CRMs, etc.
- Budget constraints, including software subscriptions, website hosting, production costs, etc.
- Ongoing maintenance costs and expertise – some platforms are easier to maintain than others.
At WUZZOO, we use Learndash as a LMS platform because it is versatile and easy for our clients to maintain. It allows us to create dynamic online work spaces which can respond to most organisation’s needs, with out blowing the budget, or creating too many limitations. Many of the LMS products which are being promoted have significant limitations with what content can be used and what learning management options they provide.
Learndash is used by universities, corporations and small businesses alike.
If you would like to talk to us about setting up an LMS or creating interactive learning content for your customers or employees, CONTACT US.
Go to www.wuzzoo.com for more information.